Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Back in it

So many events have happened since my last blog entry. 
1. Our computer overheated and was impossible to keep on.

2. Christmas came and went

3. My sister had her baby two weeks early and was born with Severe Meconium Aspiration and pneumonia. She may not live.

4. I immediately flew to Florida to support my sister through a very difficult time in her life.

5. Expressed my deep concern and empathy to my sister for the 10 days that I was present. She too is not well.

6. My best friend calls, his mother has passed away from a freak "choking on a cough drop" incident. Literally.

7. Drove 8 1/2 hours up to Georgia to show my love and support to one of my favorite families in the whole wide world.

8. Came home and almost immediately caught the flu that my beautiful daughters decided to infect me with.

9. I am now alive and well.

10. I am starting over.

It may not seem like that much has gone on to some people, but to me, for the last three weeks the world has been upside down. 

There is a place for everyone in a family. Lately, I am the one holding everyone's head above water. 
Truth is, my sister has a severe alcohol and drug problem. She has been through detox twice, been divorced, has a new beau (who is super lame), who now has a baby with the super lame-o, is broke because she cannot seem to know what happens to the $4200 she gets a month in child support!!, and literally if she doesn't get her life together I fear for her life. She is not well, her world is not well she is my sister. My best friend in the whole wide world.  If that is not a hard pill to swallow (no pun intended) , I don't know what is.

I love my sister. Very very much. Maybe more than anyone else, period.

Ok, that's going on and then my best friends mom dies. While sucking a cough drop. Chokes. Is brain dead. I have to say good-bye. I love Liz and miss her but will always remember her...she flippin' ROCKS!

Then, kicker. After the weekend of the funeral. I am hanging with the family at the dinner table when all of a sudden we are laughing and jokin around (as usual) and my Uncle starts choking....he runs out of the kitchen onto our deck to keep from coughing on his family and their food. I watch him take two strides and he collapses, nails his head on our deck railing and has passed out. I almost lost my Uncle from choking. 

Same night of the choking incident. I cried my eyes out. Asked God lots of questions. Mainly,"why?". Hugged my Uncle, my mother, my sister and thanked God for all he has done for us so far in this life.

Lessons learned:
  • Don't wait, jump on a plane. Even if you can't afford it. You can't afford to miss moments, even the ones that seem to be a nightmare. 
  • Be there. Through it all.
  • Hug the ones you love every second you can.
  • Don't let another be judged. 
  • Be honest, forgiving and try to understand.
  • Don't suck on cough drops.
  • Love. Unconditionally.   



 

This video my Uncle put together...just seems fitting. I love my family.




1 comment:

Ariel said...

So glad you are back in it. You are an amazing friend, and probably an even more bad-ass sister. I love you...we love you. And that photo montage was the sweetest. LOVE all the photos!